Friday, July 31, 2009

Starting a Blog

Hi...My name is Heather...I am Grant's Mommy

I never thought I would start a blog (I am just not the type). I have always enjoyed my privacy. I have had quite a normal life, mostly followed the rules (except for a few wild times in school), finished college (Go Longhorns!), have great friends and family, married the man of my dreams (well..no one said my dream was perfect...just kidding), and moved to the Houston suburbs. Before I got pregnant, I had genetic testing. I was cleared of being a carrier of Cystic Fibrosis, Tay Sach's Disease etc. Doctors said I was perfectly healthy.

I went on to have my first son in 2003. He is a happy, healthy, and well-adjusted 6-year old now. We had our second son in 2006. Doctors all reported he was healthy at birth and at every 6-month check-up. When he was about 2 years old, we began to be concerned with his speech and started speech therapy. Doctor's still didn't seem concerned. Then, right before his 3rd birthday, a lady evaluating him for speech noticed his well-defined calf-muscles (we had always just thought he had nice calf muscles). I immediately went on Google and found out about Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, a disease I didn't even know existed, but one that was about to break my heart into a million tiny pieces. After bringing my son back to the doctors and demanding testing, he was diagnosed with Duchenne.Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is a the most common fatal genetic disease diagnosed in childhood. It is an x-linked disorder affecting boys, which causes a deterioration of all the skeletal muscles in the body and the heart muscle. Boys affected with the disease are usually in a wheelchair by about age 10 and die in their late teens or early 20's.

How could this be happening? My husband and I said over and over. We did all the right things. I have no family history of muscular dystrophy, but found out later, I may be a carrier and not even know it. Even if I am not a carrier, I could still have a child with muscular dystrophy. One-third of the cases are from mothers who are not carriers. Even though our hearts are still breaking, my husband and I are now on a mission to increase awareness and research for this disease.

Not only do we want to stop this from happening to other families...We are in a race against time to save our son's life. There are currently researchers and scientists working diligently to come up with good treatments and a cure for this disease, but there is limited funding and awareness. We need the help of everyone...to save these boys so they can continue to enjoy things that we all take for granted everyday...walking, standing, breathing.

4 comments:

  1. hi Heather- I am a good friend of Tanni's, and saw her link to your blog. I have been praying for Grant since Tanni first posted about your story. My husband and I have a special place in our hearts for kisd with DMD, we both volunteered while in college at the MDA Summer Camp as camp counselors, both of us had campers with DMD, his was 17 and mine was 6. I still count it as one of the greatest experiences of my life. I started following your blog so that I can keep up with Grant's story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We continue to pray and continue to love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather, just found your sweet blog. You are such a wonderful mommy. I will keep you guys in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am Richard, I am here to testify about a great herbalist  man who cured my wife of breast cancer. His name is Dr Imoloa. My wife went through this pain for 3 years, i almost spent all i had, until i saw some testimonies online on how Dr. Imoloa cure them from their diseases, immediately i contacted him through. then he told me the necessary things to do before he will send  the herbal medicine. Wish he did through DHL courier service, And he instructed us on how to apply or drink the medicine for good two weeks. and to greatest surprise before the upper third week my wife was relief from all the pains, Believe me, that was how my wife was cured from breast cancer by this great man. He also have powerful herbal medicine to cure diseases like: Alzheimer's disease, parkinson's disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumor, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia, Cervical Disc Disease, Cardiovascular Disease, Neoplasms , chronic respiratory disease, mental and behavioral disorder, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, Asthma, Autoimmune inflammatory media arthritis ed. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, alcohol spectrum feta, dysthymic disorder, eczema, tuberculosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis ABC, syphilis, diarrhea, HIV / AIDS, Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, addison's disease, chronic pain, Crohn's pain, cystic fibrosis, fibromyalgia, inflammatory Bowel disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major depression, Malignant melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple sclerosis, Muscular dystrophy, Rheumatoid arthritis. You can reach him Email Via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com / whatsapp +2347081986098    Website/ www.drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete